MCGS Standing Rules
1. All mail for the Society shall be addressed to the permanent mailing address: P.O. Box 1511, Novato, CA 94948-1511.
2. A key to the post office box shall be held by the Editor of the Society’s quarterly and one other responsible member living in Novato who is able to pick up the mail.
3. The Society shall meet on the fourth Wednesday of the month, 7:30 p.m., except May and December, at the LDS Church, 200 North San Pedro Road, San Rafael or such other meeting place as may be deemed appropriate by the Board of Directors.
4. The Board shall meet on the second Wednesday of the month, at a place and time designated by the Board and announced in the meeting notice prior to the meeting. Meetings shall be held monthly except for May and December, unless meetings in those months shall be deemed necessary by the Board.
5. Types of membership and amounts of dues shall be decided by the Board.
6. Any officer or Board member who wishes to resign shall give two weeks notice to the President in writing.
7. Any officer or Board member who is in arrears for non-payment of dues for 90 days or more shall be notified in writing of his/her termination from the Board and shall not receive the Kin Tracer during such arrears.
1. HISTORIAN: Shall keep scrapbooks of the following:
(1) All articles pertaining to the Society from local and county newspapers, all articles to be dated.
(2) Obituaries and newspaper articles of Marin County people.
(3) Articles of a historical nature on Marin County.
Said scrapbooks are to be kept in the Society’s library collection.
2. KIN-TRACER EDITOR:
(1) Shall pick up mail from Society’s post office box and shall have possession of a key to said box.
(2) Shall keep a current list of periodical exchanges with other societies.
(3) Shall read and evaluate other periodicals and articles of a genealogical nature for publication in the quarterly.
(4) Shall create and publish the quarterly Kin Tracer.
3. MONTHLY NEWSLETTER EDITOR/STAFF:
(1) Shall compile, print and distribute the monthly newsletter.
4. PROGRAM: Chairman shall plan programs for the Society on a yearly basis, as follows:
(1) Provide speakers.
(2) Arrange for genealogical workshops or seminars.
(3) Develop resource speaker list.
(4) The Society shall meet no less than quarterly and conduct at least one workshop per year.
(5) Chairman shall have an annual budget for payment of speakers fees, mileage, etc., the amount
of such budget to be determined by the Board of Directors.
The ten meetings in each year shall include the following:
(1) One or more workshops.
(2) At least two speakers.
(3) Annual May event.
(4) December holiday party.
5. PUBLICITY: Chairman shall:
(1) Notify local media of general meetings.
(2) Prepare publicity releases as may be appropriate for the activities of the Society, including the names of new officers and directors after election in May.
(3) Arrange advertising and/or publicity for special events, including seminars, workshops, etc.
(4) Promote Society for new memberships.
6. FUND-RAISING: chairman shall:
(1) Plan projects for raising money.
(2) Work in cooperation with other committees when duties overlap.
7. RESEARCH: Chairman shall:
(1) Answer Society’s mail pertaining to research inquiries, including research at local courthouse and historical societies. A donation to the Society, plus any extra photocopy costs, to be requested in advance. Payment in advance shall be requested for any requests for marriage records from county or state.
(2) Copy, transcribe and update Marin County Records as available and arrange for publication.
(3) Copy and transcribe federal census for Marin County for years 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920 and 1930
and arrange for publication.
8. LIBRARIAN: Chairman shall:
(1) Set up and maintain Society library.
(2) Act as liaison for Society with facility housing Society’s collection.
(3) Collect donated materials to be maintained in library collection.
(4) Prepare index of contents of library.
(5) Coordinate management of indexing periodical with Assistant Librarian.
(6) Order books and supplies for library as needed, within budget.
(7) Keep newsletter and/or Quarterly editor informed of books and new acquisitions available for use.
Approved by the Board on August 8, 2007